SPECIAL FLIGHT is a poignant immersion documentary in the Frambois administrative detention centre near Geneva. For three months, a film crew covered the lives of 25 men awaiting deportation from Switzerland. The director gives a sensitive and emotional portrait of the relationships between inmates and the staff of the centre. This documentary offers many pedagogical approaches that can be treated in civics, geography, history or French.
Citizenship and civic education:
- The asylum law in Switzerland.
- The conditions for granting refugee status.
- Coercive measures.
- How asylum seekers are viewed.
- Asylum as a campaigning issue before the federal elections of October 2011.
Geography / History:
- International migration and the motivations behind migration.
- Swiss refugee policy on refugees.
- The death of a Nigerian asylum seeker turned back at Kloten.
- Documentary and fiction: a look at the reality and civic commitment.
- Objectivity and subjectivity in the choices pertaining to directing and editing.
An educational dossier has been created for SPECIAL FLIGHT in collaboration with e-media.ch. It includes an interview with the director. We have also selected other educational dossiers on the theme of asylum, migration, racism and exclusion.